Skip to content

Hibiscus and Bays
Community Engagement


What do you mean by ‘housing needs’?

When we talk about ‘housing needs’, think about things like: the cost of housing, location, typology (height, size), quality, security, community connection, closeness to amenities, type of tenure (public rental, private rental, owner occupier). 

What will happen at the end of the engagement process?

The feedback received will be analysed and compiled into a report which will help inform the final version of the Kāinga Ora Hibiscus and Bays Development Plan. This plan will outline how Kāinga Ora proposes to provide a variety of housing to meet specific needs in the area.

Is public housing the same as emergency housing?

Check out the definitions below which explains some housing terminology.

The Public Housing Register

A waiting list of people who qualify for public housing is managed by the Ministry of Social Development (MSD). Called the Public Housing Register, it includes details of people who need public housing, the locations they could live in, and the type of house needed–e.g. how many bedrooms.

State housing/public housing

Long-term housing, provided by Kāinga Ora, which is set up to make sure people have the right home and are able to access the support they need to live well in their home and community.

Emergency housing

For people with no other housing options. MSD may be able to pay for an emergency housing special needs grant, usually at a motel. Grants are generally given for between one week and three weeks at a time and MSD works with clients to explore alternative options and long-term housing.

Transitional housing 

Provides warm, safe, and dry short-term accommodation and tailored support services, delivered by housing support services providers who are skilled in supporting tenants with a range of social and tenancy-related needs. It is needed to support people in urgent need while the Government and community providers increase public housing supply. Kāinga Ora does not manage transitional housing.

Community group housing 

Community Group Housing provides residential and non-residential community housing for people with specific and often complex needs. This can include people living with mental illness, people who have physical and/or intellectual disabilities, people who abuse substances or have addictions, people who require refuge, families who need emergency housing, children/youth at risk and those requiring family support (such as Plunket, Barnardos, Tamariki Ora, budgeting). Kāinga Ora rents or leases properties directly to specialist third-party Community Group Housing Providers. Homes are carefully selected to meet the needs of the Provider and their customers, and where required, Kāinga Ora will undertake modifications to ensure the home meets the agreed requirements. Kāinga Ora does not manage Community Group Housing.